Since I posted the chicken BBQ recipe yesterday, I’ve had a number of people ask me for the poppyseed cole slaw recipe to serve with it. So here it is, in all its easy glory. Seriously, this is even easier than yesterday’s chicken! (I took the photo above from my MIL’s kitchen window in Charleston, SC. I usually want to be there instead of here, except today it’s as cold there as it is in Virginia!)
This is an easy, versatile coleslaw, but it's a bit on the sweet side. Especially when served with honey-roasted peanuts on top. I serve this with the chili shredded pork sandwiches, easy shredded beef, super-easy chicken bbq on biscuits, and when my husband grills hamburgers and hotdogs. I also use bagged coleslaw and bottled dressing when I'm too busy to chop and whisk. (Lazy is such an ugly word! LOL)
5 minPrep Time
5 minTotal Time
- 4 cups coleslaw (1 head green cabbage and 2 carrots, grated or 1 bag fresh, pre-shredded coleslaw)
- 1 cup fresh spinach leaves, torn into small pieces
- 1/2 of a 12 oz bottle of poppyseed dressing (I love the Marzetti brand but any brand will work)
- 3/4 cup dried cranberries
- Honey-roasted peanuts for garnish
- Mix all ingredients (except for peanuts) in a bowl. Chill until serving. (1-2 hours works well)
- Serve with peanuts on top.
I always add the peanuts last and on top. I never know who may have an allergy, and the dressing sometimes strips the yummy coating off the peanuts, making them kind of slimy. Serving size is approximate since some people eat the slaw as a main dish and others just take a "no thank you" serving.